Giada calls this dish White Fish with Lemon Vinaigrette but would call it lemon vinaigrette with some other stuff. The vinaigrette is awesome. Let’s face it, tilapia doesn’t have a whole lot of flavor. It is firm with a good texture but pretty plain. The vinaigrette wakes this fish up.
I love cannellini, or white beans. I have been putting them in more and more recipes because of their mild creamy texture. Matching the beans with the tart almost sourness of the radicchio is brilliant. That all matches perfectly with the citrus and herbs in the vinaigrette and the crispiness of the tilapia. This meal is so light and refreshing.
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 large head radicchio (about 12 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans (cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fish broth (don’t substitute)
- 6 (5 to 6-ounce) tilapia fillets or other firm whitefish
- purpose flour, for dredging
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Viniagrette
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- First the vinaigrette: Blend the lemon juice, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet at medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until tender and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the radicchio and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and broth, and cook until the beans are heated through, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season the radicchio mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Season the tilapia with salt and pepper and dredge in flour to coat completely. Shake of the excess flour and fry fillets until they are golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Spoon the radicchio mixture over the center of the plates. Top with the fillets. Drizzle the vinaigrette over and serve immediately